Business Development Director
Tanooki Labs is a product and development studio based in New York City. We love the internet, like, more than normal people. Our mission is to be a true partner to entrepreneurs.
We believe that by establishing a trusted resource for development in NYC that combines CTO-level technical and product strategy with excellent execution, we can help unlock a new wave of East Coast innovation that rivals Silicon Valley. We've assembled an incredible team of product-focused tech talent with decades of combined experience in the tech and startup scenes, and we're relentless in our pursuit of excellent products, happy users, and a reputation as a trusted partner.
Also, we know that cranking out marketing sites for BigCo is soul sucking, so we carefully choose entrepreneurs and products that we’re thrilled to work with, and that we can learn a lot from as they grow their businesses.
Finally, we reject the idea that a dev shop has to be a mill. We’re a 35 hr/week shop, and our freelance developers name their own schedules. We wash out the classic client services headaches and make it as easy as possible to get in there and do the work of creating great products.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for a new business director. This is not a "sales" position in the sense that it has revenue goals and commissions. Sales lead generation is a component of the position, but not the whole affair. Rather, this position is focused on
- Building the new business capabilities of the organization
- Generating sales leads through light B2B marketing, networking and outreach (we don't expect cold calling or "hard selling")
- Bringing RFPs into the company and shepherding new biz leads through the proposal process.
- Developing and maintaining a library of case studies for use in pitches.
These responsibilities will be in tandem with efforts from the partners, and the PMs but this position will lead the process, keep things organized, and be responsible for the effective and timely delivery of proposals.
The ideal candidate:
- Has some experience (1-3 years) handling new business at services-based software development or marketing company, such as software development shops, ad agencies, production companies or the like.
- Has a basic understanding of software development, ideally web and mobile, including the concepts of iterative and agile development. Technical expertise and coding skills are not required, but solid understanding of common platforms, how APIs work and which are available / commonly used, and the general understanding of the startup tech ecosystem will be major plusses.
- Has experience or knowledge of the startup funding lifecycle including relationships with Venture Capital and other forms of funding.
- Has a basic understanding of project management practices including developing scope, pricing and timing (we have PMs who will handle the details in proposals but it's good to understand the concepts)
- Strong organizational skills
- Enthusiasm and initiative.